Printing to a McGill uPrint printer with the ACELab printer card can be done both from command line and from GUI.
First check to see all available uPrints on your machine:
me@ace-ws-00:~$ lpstat -p
Output example will be vary on Ubuntu 16 and Ubuntu 18
printer HP-color-laserjet is idle. enabled since Thu 26 Jan 2017 02:32:24 PM EST printer McGill_Color is idle. enabled since Thu 16 Feb 2017 02:43:59 PM EST printer mcgill_mono is idle. enabled since Thu 16 Feb 2017 02:44:14 PM EST printer mcgill_mono_beta is idle. enabled since Thu 16 Feb 2017 02:44:00 PM EST
You can see here a local printer and the McGill uPrint printers.
* 2 UPrint cards in NW (amni16 in NW145 and amni22 in NW136)
* 1 uPrint card in 527 (amni17)
To print a file named myfile.txt to mcgill_mono using the amni16 “Evans Lab Students” account:
me@ace-ws-00:~$ lp -U amni16 -d mcgill_mono myfile.txt request id is mcgill_mono-117 (1 file(s))
Then, find the amni16 uPrint card and release the job at the printer.
* Create a directory and file under your home directory
mkdir -p ~/.cups/ touch ~/.cups/client.conf
* Add Lab uPrint card name (amni16 e.g.) into client.conf file
echo 'USER amni16'>> ~/.cups/client.conf
* Set a default printer in ~/.cups/lpoptions
lpoptions -d mcgill_mono
note: you can add all available printers into ~/.cups/lpoptions by editing the file
XXX@ace-ws-XX:~$ cat .cups/lpoptions McGill_Color mcgill_mono mcgill_mono_beta
* All set and its ready to print out via GUI